Is it rice? Is it a grain? We’ve all heard about the sudden rave on quinoa, but what exactly is it? Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a grain-like seed and essentially one of the healthiest foods out there. Its recent popularity is due to the benefits of its richness in nutrients like lysine, which promotes healthy growth throughout the body. In contrast to grains, quinoa is different because it has significantly greater amounts of amino acids, making it more protein-packed than grains.
Today, many people are starting to use quinoa as a substitute for rice and baking grains. Not only is it classified as a superfood, but it also is delicious and complements many other foods.
A few reasons why quinoa is so beneficial:
- Nutritious Value
- Very high in fiber
- Gluten free
- High in protein
- Has a low glycemic index
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Easy to incorporate into your diet
Feeling inspired? Try out this quinoa recipe found on bonappetit.com
Quinoa Tabbouleh – the classic Middle Eastern salad gets an of-the-moment upgrade with the “it” grain.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large English hothouse cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Bring quinoa, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
- Do Ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.